Hae Bee Hiam Cookies
An ode to local Singaporean cuisine that utilises a lot of hae bee (dried shrimp), these savoury cookies are spicy, moreish and pack a huge punch. Homemade hae bee hiam can be a tedious endeavour so I used Batu Lesung’s Hae Bee Sambal to spice up my cookies with minimum effort and maximum flavour. It offers a real spice kick with no MSG or fillers and makes these hae bee hiam cookies very quick to make.
I did a live demonstration for these cookies on FaceBook Live. To learn how to make these Hae Bee Hiam Cookies, simply click the link above and join me for a step-by-step live bake-along!
Batu Lesung is offering Whisk n Fold’s followers a 10% discount off their pastes and sambal gift box sets, which has one of everything so it’s a good way to sample everything! Simply enter the promo code ‘WNF10’ when buying your ingredients to enjoy this special offer from now till end August!
(Makes 48 small cookies)
200g plain flour, sifted
100g corn flour, sifted
160g unsalted butter, room temperature
50g icing sugar, sifted
2 tsp fine shrimp paste
1 tsp salt
Zest of 2 limes
Dried shrimps (hae bee) for garnish
Stand or hand mixer
Parchment paper or silicon mat
- Cream butter and icing sugar until pale
- Stir in Batu Lesung Hae Bee Hiam Sambal, fine shrimp paste, salt and lime zest until well-mixed
- Fold in plain flour and corn flour until soft dough is formed
- Wrap dough in cling wrap and chill for 1-2 hours until firm enough to shape
- Shape dough into small balls, then top with a dried shrimp and press down slightly in the middle
- Place on parchment-lined baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 160oC/320oF for 18-20 minutes