Cheese Scones with Herb Cream Cheese
Staying home for brunch or having friends over for tea this weekend? Whip up these quick and easy Cheese Scones with Herbed Cream Cheese that hit all the right savoury notes! Fluffy buttery scones studded with sharp cheddar cheese is accompanied by a homemade blend of cream cheese with fresh herbs, made using SCS cream cheese. It’s exactly what you need to turn your weekend from good to great!
(Makes 10 x 6cm round scones)
330g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
125g SCS salted butter (cold and cubed)
220g sharp mature Cheddar cheese (coarsely grated)
Herb Cream Cheese:
200g SCS cream cheese (soften)
Juice of ½ lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp onion powder
¼ cup chopped English chives
- Preheat oven to 220 °C/425 °F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using fingertips, rub cold butter into flour mixture quickly until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add grated cheese into mixture.
- Add buttermilk and mix until a wet dough just comes together.
- On a floured surface, flatten dough into an even layer about 1” thick. Then use a 6cm round cutter to cut out rounds and place them on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Brush tops of scones with a beaten egg.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes until scones are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, prepare herbed cream cheese. In a bowl, combine the cream cheese with chopped chives, minced garlic, lemon juice and onion powder.
- Serve together with cheese scones.