Water Chestnut Cake
Water Chestnut Cake (马蹄糕) is traditionally eaten during Chinese New Year because its name symbolises high growth and upward progress (步步高升). Using NutriWell’s Water Chestnut and Sugar Cane (reduced sugar) drink makes it extremely easy to pack a whole lot of water chestnut flavour in without adding any extra sugar! All you need are 3 ingredients and an hour and you’ll be enjoying this soft and crunchy treat over the Lunar New Year.
Optional: If you like your water chestnut cake firmer, you can add in a bit of cornstarch together with the water chestnut flour
This recipe video is created in collaboration with The MeatMen and NutriWell.
(Makes 1 x 8″ loaf pan)
1 litre NutriWell Water Chestnut and Sugar Cane drink
165grams water chestnut flour
2 teaspoons corn flour (optional)
8 fresh water chestnuts
- Peel water chestnuts and chop into small pieces
- Place water chestnuts pieces and 500ml of Nutriwell Water Chestnut and Sugar Cane drink in a pot and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine water chestnut flour and corn flour with 500ml of Nutriwell Water Chestnut and Sugar Cane drink in a bowl and stir until smooth
- Add chestnut flour mixture to the pot and keep stirring over low heat until mixture thickens.
- Immediately pour thickened mixture into a greased tray and steam for 40 minutes, until the water chestnut cake is clear.
- Remove from steamer and cool.
- Cut into slices and pan fry before serving.