Matcha Lava Cake
Calling all matcha lovers! This Japanese green tea and white chocolate version of the crowd-favourite lava cake is comforting and a great balance of sweet and bitter notes. For the best results, use the highest quality matcha powder you can find!
(Makes 4 x 3″ round cakes)
100g unsalted butter
100g white chocolate
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
20g plain flour
2 tsp matcha powder
- Butter ramekins and dust them lightly with flour. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate over a bain-marie (or in a microwave) and stir until combined
- Whisk eggs and egg yolks until frothy, then add in sugar and whisk until it turns pale and creamy
- Add melted butter and chocolate mixture into egg mixture and stir until well mixed
- Sift flour and matcha powder together and fold into mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared ramekins and freeze for 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450oF/230oC, and bake cakes for 8 minutes. The surface of cake should be cooked but the center is still soft
- Remove from oven and let the cakes cool for 5 minutes.
- To serve, place serving plate over the top of the ramekin and invert cake onto plate. Remove ramekins, dust matcha powder over top and serve warm.