November 2, 2018
Did you know that shortbread is traditionally associated with Christmas? This scrumptious Lavender Shortbread is great as a homemade Christmas gift and can be enjoyed with a cup of tea any time of the year too. Butter is the main ingredient for this buttery cookie so we used SCS butter for its superior flavour and infused edible dried lavender flowers to give it a subtle floral fragrance. Did we mention it’s really easy to make too? It’s the most wonderful time of the year to put on your apron and start baking!
(Makes 16 cookies)
225g SCS unsalted butter, room temperature
110g caster sugar
225g plain flour, sifted
110g rice flour, sifted
1 tbsp of dried culinary lavender flowers
- In a food processor, blend sugar and lavender together until fine.
- In a mixer, cream butter and lavender sugar until pale and creamy.
- Stir in plain flour and rice flour until a dough is formed.
- Remove dough from mixer and knead gently until smooth.
- Press dough into a 8” square tray lined with parchment paper.
- Mark dough with a knife or pastry scraper, cutting into fingers and then prick with a fork
- Bake at 160 °C/320 °f for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- When the dough is still warm but firm enough to handle, cut into fingers again.
- Allow shortbread to cool completely in the tin before serving or storing in an air-tight container.