Gula Melaka is a type of sugar made from the sap of flower buds from the coconut tree. It originated in the Malaysian state of Malacca (or Melaka in Malay) and hence bears its name. It usually comes in a hard cylindrical log and needs to be shaved and boiled with water to dissolve.
Our Southeast Asian inspired Gula Melaka Granola is an addictive mix of rolled oats, toasted nuts and dried fruit coated in a fragrant blend of coconut oil and sweet-salty gula melaka (coconut palm sugar). It’s not only a breeze to put together, it’s vegan-friendly too. Serve it with your favourite yogurt or milk for a hearty breakfast treat, or enjoy on its own as a healthier snack option!
250g old-fashioned rolled oats
120ml organic coconut oil
100g gula melaka (coconut palm sugar)
30ml hot water
1 cup raw pecans
½ tsp salt
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup dried mango, diced
- Shave gula melaka and dissolve in 30ml of boiling water to make syrup.
- Combine rolled oats, pecans, salt, coconut oil and gula melaka syrup together in a bowl and stir until well coated.
- Spread mixture out on a parchment-lined baking tray and bake in preheated oven at 160oC/320oF for 20 minutes
- Remove tray from oven, stir oats mixture and return to bake for another 10 minutes or until mixture is fairly dry
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Stir in dried cranberries and dried mangoes.
- Store in an air-tight container and serve with yoghurt, milk or enjoy as a snack on its own!