Golden Lava French Toast
Rise and shine to this Golden Lava French Toast, a lux treat for a weekend breakfast. Smooth, creamy, sweet and savoury salted egg yolk custard oozing out of eggy french toast, a delight for lovers of salted-egg-yolk-anything. Make the custard the night before to cut down on prep time in the morning so you can sleep in more!
(Makes 6 portions)
12 slices of sandwich bread
Pinch of salt
4 salted egg yolks
60g unsalted butter, room temperature
40g custard powder
20g milk powder
30ml evaporated milk
60g icing sugar, sifted
Butter, for frying
- Steam salted egg yolks for 15 minutes until cooked.
- Mash cooked salted egg yolks and then stir in soft butter, custard powder, milk powder, icing sugar and evaporated milk.
- Divide into six portions, clingwrap and freeze until firm
- In a bowl, mix eggs, milk and pinch of salt.
- Place one frozen custard between two slices of bread like a sandwich.
- Dip both sides of the sandwich in egg and milk mixture.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, and melt a tablespoon of butter in the pan
- Fry the sandwich in the hot pan on one side for 3 minutes, pressing the edges down to seal the filling in. Then flip the sandwich over carefully and cook for another 3 minutes or until golden brown and middle filling feels soft
- Remove from pan and serve warm.