Nothing smells more like Christmas than gingerbread baking in the oven. We update this classic holiday favourite by transforming gingerbread into snowman cookies that everyone in the family will love. Fill your home with festive cheer by making these gingerbread snowman cookies today!
(Yields: 18-20 cookies)
120g unsalted butter, room temperature
120g brown sugar
1 large egg
360g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in molasses and egg and beat until well combined.
- Fold sifted ingredients into butter mixture until a dough is formed
- Clingwrap the dough and refrigerate overnight.
- On a floured work surface, roll out dough to a thickness of 5 mm. Cut cookies with a 3” round cookie cutter and transfer onto baking tray.
- Bake at 160oC/320oF for approximately 15 minutes, until cookies are firm.
- Remove cookies from oven and cool cookies completely before decorating.
White rolled fondant
Light blue rolled fondant
- Roll white fondant to 3mm thickness and cut out 3” circles using the same round cutter for cookies. Brush some water on the underside of circle and smooth it onto a cooled gingerbread cookie.
- Roll light blue fondant to 2mm thickness and cut out 3” circles using a round cutter. Cut each circle into half. Brush the underside of a semi-circle with some water and smooth it onto the cookie.
- Brush some water on the blue fondant and decorate with sanding sugar and dragees.
- Build the face of the snowman with a dragee as nose and use black icing to draw the eyes and mouth.