There’s nothing better to wake up to than the smell of freshly baked cinnamon rolls. These spiral buns laced with cinnamon sugar are especially fluffy and soft, thanks to the use of the tang zhong method – an Asian method of adding more moisture to the dough through a water roux starter. It’s a simple step that yields huge results, so give our recipe below a try!
(Makes 12 rolls)
Tang Zhong Starter:
40 ml whole milk
40 ml water
15g (2 tbsp) bread flour
240g bread flour
1 ½ tsp (6g) instant yeast
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk powder
2 tbsp (30g) sugar
45g butter, melted
100ml whole milk, warm
1 large egg
80g butter, melted
80g brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup raisins (optional)
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
60g icing sugar
2 tsp (10ml) whole milk
- To make tang zhong starter, combine milk, water and bread flour in a saucepan and keep stirring over low heat until whisk leaves lines in the dough. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the dough, combine the starter and all the dough ingredients into a mixing bowl. Knead with a mixer using a dough hook for 5-7 minutes until a smooth elastic dough forms.
- On a generously floured bench, shape the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cling wrap the top of the bowl and let it ferment for 60-90 minutes.
- When dough has doubled in size, remove from bowl and punch down on a floured bench. Then roll dough out to a rectangle about 18” x 10”.
- Brush surface of the dough with melted butter.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together, then sprinkle all over the dough.
- Add raisins and chopped walnuts, if using.
- Roll up the log gently towards you, then cut into 12 equal portions.
- Place rolls cut-side up in a greased 8” x 11” baking dish and set aside to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180oC/350oF for 20-25 minutes, until the surface of the buns are light brown.
- Meanwhile, make icing by combining icing sugar and milk until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cinnamon buns from oven, brush tops with more melted butter and drizzle icing over.
- Cool and enjoy warm or at room temperature.