Because you loved our Baked Cheese Tarts recipe so much and wanted more, we’ve come up with a Chocolate Cheese Tart recipe that is even more delish! We made our chocolate tart shell from scratch and added dark chocolate to our cheese tart filling for the chocoholic in you. It’s love at first bite for us so be sure to give it a try, you won’t regret it!
(Makes 16 tarts)
225g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
100g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter, cold
2 large egg yolks
Chocolate Cheese Filling:
250g cream cheese
125g mascarpone cheese
80g unsalted butter
200g whole milk
100g icing sugar, sifted
2 large eggs
100g dark chocolate, chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
Roasted hazelnuts, chopped
- To make tart shells, sift flour, cocoa powder and icing sugar together.
- Rub butter into flour mixture with fingertips and form mixture into a well
- Add egg yolks into the center and stir in flour mixture
- Knead mixture until it comes together as a dough.
- Cling-wrap the dough and chill in refrigerator until firm.
- Roll out to 4mm thickness, then cut out circles with a 4” round cutter
- Line tart moulds with pastry circles, then prick pastry bottoms and blind bake at 180oC/350oF for 15 minutes
- Remove tart shells from from oven, discard blink baking beans and cool.
- To make chocolate cheese filling, put milk, cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, and butter in a pot and stir over low heat until cheeses melt.
- Remove from heat, stir in eggs and icing sugar, then return pot to stove and continue stirring over low heat until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and sieve mixture into a bowl with dark chocolate
- Stir until chocolate is melted, add vanilla extract and stir until mixture is homogenous.
- Cling-wrap the bowl and cool chocolate cheese mixture in an ice-bath.
- When cool, fill piping bag with chocolate cheese mixture and pipe into cooled tart shells.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200oC/400oF for 10 min
- Cool slightly and garnish with chopped hazelnuts before serving.