We’ve been seeing so many videos of this wobbly sponge cake on our feed that we decided we had to attempt to make one ourselves. This insta-worthy 古早味 castella cake that jiggles fresh outta the oven has captured the eyes and tastebuds of so many ever since it arrived on our shores. After experimenting many times, we discovered that the ingredients of this cake are extremely simple, but the techniques that go into each step is what will make or break it (literally!)
Here are some tips that we’ve learnt from making this cake countless times so you don’t have to…
- Use top flour for the finest, softest texture. If you can’t find it, the next best flour to use is cake flour
- Make sure your milk is warm before adding it in. Cold milk will cause the oil and flour to seize up
- Use eggs at room temperature for the best results
- Whip your egg whites to soft peak and fold them in quickly but gently
- Use real cheddar cheese, not the processed sliced cheese if you want your cheese to ooze
- Some choose to bake their cake in a water bath but we found it doesn’t make much of a difference and may result in a soggy cake
If you would like to make this cake without cheese, simply omit it and follow the rest of the recipe. Feel free to leave a comment here if you have any questions!
(Makes one 7″ square cake)
60ml vegetable oil
90g top flour, sifted
90ml milk, warm
6 egg yolks
8 egg whites
90g caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 slices of cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in a pot until hot but not bubbling.
2. In a heat-proof mixing bowl, sift flour in and then and stir in hot oil to dissolve flour, until there are no visible lumps
3. Stir in warm milk and egg yolks until smooth
4. In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites and salt on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add in sugar until soft peaks form.
5. Gently fold 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk mixture. Then fold in another 1/3 of the meringue.
6. Finally, fold the yolk mixture into the last 1/3 of the meringue
7. Pour batter into a lined baking tray until it is slightly more than half full.
8. Place slices of cheddar cheese on top of the batter, then cover with remaining batter.
9. Knock tray gently on table a couple of times to release large air bubbles
10. Bake at 150oC/300oF for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
11. Remove from oven and cool slightly. Remove cake from tin, serve warm and enjoy!