Basil and coconut work together not just in curries and savoury dishes! In this ice cream, fresh basil and coconut milk are blended into a refreshing treat that will beat any tropical heat. You can easily make this artisan ice cream at home with an ice cream maker, which will yield the best results.
(Makes ½ litre)
200ml coconut milk
200ml whipping cream
25g fresh basil
5 egg yolks
¼ cup + 1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp light corn syrup
- Remove basil leaves from stalks, give them a rough chop and add them into a saucepot with coconut milk and whipping cream.
- Over low heat, bring milk and cream to a simmer and then remove from heat. Set aside and let basil steep for 30 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, blend the mixture together until it turns light green
- Pass mixture through a fine sieve to remove the herbs, then return mixture to a pot.
- Add ¼ cup sugar and corn syrup and bring mixture to a simmer over low heat again
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolks together with 1 tbsp sugar, then keep whisking while adding a little basil mixture at a time to temper the eggs. When all the basil mixture has been added to the egg yolks, transfer the whole mixture into the pot again.
- Stir continuously over low heat, until the mixture reaches 82oC/180oF
- Remove immediately from heat and pour into a bowl set in an ice-bath to cool down.
- When cool, clingwrap the top of the bowl and chill mixture overnight
- The next day, remove from the refrigerator and give the mixture a stir before churning it in an ice-cream maker.
- Freeze churned ice-cream for 3-4 hours before serving.